Thursday, April 15, 2010

Austen: The Classic Romantic

It only seems right that the first author I'm writing about is one of the most well-known, classic and best (in my opinion) authors of all time: the incomparable Jane Austen. With ease and finesse, she wrote a series of novels that accurately portrayed the social, financial and romantic struggles of her time. Yet amazingly, many of the themes Miss Austen wrote about are still applicable today.


Paintings from Pride and Prejudice




The book above, 'Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury', is a beautifully presented book that chronicles Jane's life and also the main themes of each of her books; Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Emma and Persuasion.


I think my favourite book by Jane Austen would have to be Sense and Sensibility. Because it was her first book, it has a youth and freshness that is very refreshing. I would love to hear what your favourite Jane Austen book is and why!


I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again witha heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight and a half years ago. Dare not say that man soon forgets sooner than woman, that his love has anearlier death. i have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in
F.W.
I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.


Sorry about the length but this letter is from Persuasion and I think it's one of the best love letters ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile:) Thankyou!